Meet the Faculty
MA and PhD, Sociology, University of Massachusetts
BA, History, Sociology, and Africana Studies, Bowdoin College
Professional (Non-Academic) Experience:
Hartford Courant Newspaper - Senior Research Analyst
Pert Survey Research - Project Manager
Academic Areas of Interest:
Historical Sociology, Critical Race Theory, Labor Sociology, Globalization, Race-Gender Stratification, African-American Studies, Social Movements, and the Racial Wealth Gap.
- “Conquered then Divided: Inter-National Working Class Solidarity on Vacation Cruise Ships” American Sociological Association Annual Meeting.
- “Bringing Employers Back In: Employers’ Utilization of Race-Gender Ideology in Industrial and Service Labor 1890-1960” American Sociological Association Annual Meeting.
- “Explaining Racialized Wealth Inequality: Race-Talk Online” to be presented at Race, Class, and Gender Conference.
- Review (co-authored with Dan Clawson) of Reworking Race: Hawaii’s Interracial Labor Movement by Moon-Kie Jung.
- Not in the same boat: Inter-National Working Class Solidarity on Vacation Cruise Ships.
- Bringing Employers Back In: Black Male Workers and Employers’ Utilization of Racial Ideology in Industrial Labor 1890-1945.
- You Deserve Your Nothing: Private-Public Explanations of Racialized Wealth Inequality
- The Boss was Racist Too: A Comparative Historical Analysis of Employers’ Race-Gender Ideology and Black workers in the Railroad, Southern Textile, and Auto Industries.
- Introduction to Sociology
- Race, Class, and Gender
- Sociology of the Family
- Sociology of Work
- Introduction to African American Studies
- Critical Race Theory
- Sociology of Work and the Racialized “Other”
- Black Radical Thought
- Social Class Inequality
- Racial Inequality
- Bard College at Simon’s Rock
- American Philosophical Society
John Hope Franklin Fellowship