Writer/Digital Content Editor
Bard College at Simon’s Rock, the nation’s only four-year residential college specifically designed to provide bright, highly motivated students with the opportunity to begin college immediately after the tenth or eleventh grade, seeks a strategic, creative and forward thinking Writer/Digital Content Editor to join its Communications team.
The writer reports to the Director of Communications, leading content strategy and brand messaging to increase awareness and drive enrollment for one of the most distinctive colleges in the country. The writer is responsible for writing and content strategy for a variety of internal and external communications including the website, blog, social media channels, magazine feature articles, advertising and marketing, speeches, press releases and newsletters.
- Report on campus events, including interviews, feature articles, blog posts and live social media coverage
- Act as the College’s dedicated Web content strategist, writer and editor for upcoming website redesign
- Drive Web traffic through optimized content and inbound marketing strategies
- Coordinate with student, faculty, and staff to write and publish stories
- Manage social media accounts and advise other campus social media and Web content creators
- Create content calendars, develop style guides, and uphold best practices, ensuring brand continuity across departments and platforms
- Research, engage and deliver niche online audiences to increase enrollment
- Collaborate with and elicit content from multiple departments, managing schedules and deadlines
- Analyze performance and keep abreast of social media technology and trends
- Create and maintain brand voice and craft brand messages across all platforms
- Write marketing material for various uses including ad copy, magazines, brochures, admissions and development materials
- Assist with presentations, correspondence and speech writing
- Support public relations initiatives and write press releases
- Assume responsibility for copy editing, fact-checking, and proofreading
- Write video scripts and interview subjects
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor's degree, preferably in communications, journalism, English, or related field
- Experience in brand development, feature writing, marketing and advertising copywriting, script writing and public relations
- Proven ability to speak to the hearts and minds of a unique audience and motivate them to act
- Expert writer accustomed to writing for a variety of media – especially the web – and audiences in a deadline-driven environment
- Expertise in social media, SEO, web-based content strategies, the mobile landscape and content management systems
- Familiarity with Google Analytics and data analysis
- Ability to edit the writing of others
- Experience in higher education a plus
- Experience with interviews and event reportage
- Knowledge of current higher education business topics and trends
- Strategic and conceptual thinker
- Highly organized with a proven ability to handle multiple projects and deadlines while maintaining a high level of attention to detail
- Team-oriented and flexible with excellent interpersonal skills
- Interested in, and able to speak to a diverse, bright and creative adolescent audience
Founded in 1966, Bard College at Simon’s Rock | The Early College is the only four-year residential college of the liberal arts and sciences specifically designed for bright, highly motivated students ready to begin college after the tenth or eleventh grade, at age 16 or 17. Students are taught exclusively in small seminars by a supportive, highly-trained faculty. AA and BA degrees are granted in over 40 areas of study. Most graduates proceed to earn graduate and professional degrees at highly selective universities. Simon's Rock joined the Bard College network in 1979.
The College has an 8:1 student to faculty ratio, with classes averaging 10 students. 30% of the student body are people of color, and the broad range of cultural, ethnic, and geographic diversity found on campus is a point of pride. Students are not motivated as much by grades, but by ideas, the prospect of knowing more, making connections, surprising themselves and applying their brains to complicated issues. Located in Great Barrington, in the beautiful Berkshires of Western Massachusetts, the College enrolls approximately 400 students.
This is a full-time exempt position with excellent employee benefits. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a background search. Simon’s Rock is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply. Please send cover letter, resume, writing samples/case studies and contact information for at least three references to firstname.lastname@example.org (please include “Writer/Digital Content Editor” in the subject line). No phone calls, please. Review process begins immediately applications will be accepted until the position is filled. For more information about the College, visit our website at www.simons-rock.edu.