A lockdown is typically used in instances of campus violence involving the use of a weapon. When informed of a lockdown through the Emergency Alert System or other means, please follow the below procedures:
- Remain calm and quiet.
- Lock or barricade all doors where possible, or proceed to a room where you can do so.
- If possible cover any windows or openings that have a direct line of sight into a hallway.
- Shut blinds or shades. Turn off lights.
- Stay low, away from windows and doors. Barricade doors where possible; use furniture or desks.
- Sit on the floor or crouch under or behind desks and bookshelves. Try to remain out of sight.
- Immediately put all cell phones into "Vibrate" or "Silent" mode.
- Be aware of alternate exits if it becomes necessary to flee.
- Calls to Security should be made only with specific information regarding the location or conduct of the intruder or if the status of the emergency changes.
- DO NOT respond to anyone at the door until an "all clear" message is received from the Emergency Alert System or emergency personnel.
- If a fire alarm sounds during a lockdown, do not evacuate unless you smell smoke or see fire in your area.
- If outside when a lockdown is announced run into the nearest building and follow the above lockdown instructions. If it is not safe to do so, hide behind a large heavy object (i.e. vehicle, tree). Notify someone of your location when safe to do so.