We are looking forward to welcoming students back to campus! The information on this
page will make the process safe and efficient for everyone.
We will post more details on arrival day as they become available—please check this
page as your arrival date approaches.
Students will arrive in phases. New student arrivals will take place between Monday,
August 17 and Tuesday, August 18. Returning student arrivals will take place between
Sunday, August 23 and Monday, August 24.
Airport Shuttle Reservations
Each student will receive information to schedule their preferred arrival date and
time during these days. Reservations are made on a first-come, first-served basis
and should be made by August 10. In order to ensure an effective and safe pre-semester
quarantine, it is critical that students arrive during their scheduled date and time.
If you are not able to find a time that works for you, or if you need to adjust your
time after August 10, please contact Rochelle Duffy, Housing Coordinator, email@example.com.
Due to the increased demands on the Simon's Rock staff to ensure a safe, pleasant,
and effective arrival experience for all residential students, we would like to underscore
key reminders and updates to make arrival a bit easier for you.
Importantly, for those arriving by car, each student may only be accompanied by one
person this year, and that person will need to remain with the vehicle while you unload
your belongings. We recommend shipping belonging ahead of time to make move-in day
Ship Items Ahead
We will do our best to deliver all pre-shipped packages to your room before your scheduled
We suggest that you begin shipping items to campus as soon as possible—you need not
wait for your room assignment. Individual deliveries of items received after August
12 will be stored for pick-up at a later date. The student's name should be clearly
indicated on all shipments, along with the following mailing address:
Bard College at Simon's Rock
c/o The Mailroom
84 Alford Road
Great Barrington, MA 01230
What to pack
Each student will be provided with a bed, a desk and chair, a dresser, and a clothing
rack, closet or wardrobe. Laundry facilities are located in each residence hall.
- Masks (10-20, so that you won’t need to do laundry as often!)
- Hand sanitizer (this will be provided in public spaces, but you’ll need some to carry
and to have in your room)
- 3 weeks supply of any of your prescription medications
- Air purifier
- Electric Kettle with UL listing and auto shut off
- Alarm clock (or phone/watch)
- Power strip
- Desk lamp
- Trash can
- Towels and toiletries
- Laundry bag and detergent
- Prepaid phone cards
- Bedding sheets, blankets, pillows. Beds are standard twin and xl twin. We recommend
bringing x long twin sheets because too much sheet is better than not enough.
- Journal or composition book for Writing and Thinking
- Cleaning supplies (dust pan and brush, broom or small hand vacuum, for example)
- Items that will make your room feel like home, such as posters, plants, curtains (Most
windows are 50” x 80” and all have shades), an area rug.
- Telephone - each room has one phone jack. Discuss with your roommate which one of
you will bring a phone. There is no voice mail on the land line system, so bring your
own mobile phone if you wish to have voice mail.
- Refrigerator (optional) - no more than 2 cubic feet in size. Only one is permitted
per room so check with your roommate in advance. *Please note that this item is best
shipped so you do not have to carry it to your room.
- Cold weather clothing for winter & wet weather clothing, (boots especially!). Please
consider that cold weather clothing and items that are not an immediate need can be
shipped to you throughout the semester.
While the list below is fairly comprehensive, we encourage all incoming students to
refer to the Student Handbook for a complete list.
Simon’s Rock is a dry campus—drugs, alcohol and associated paraphernalia cannot be
brought to campus.
- Because of fire and safety concerns, microwaves, toaster ovens, electric blankets
and other electric bedding, space heaters, immersion heaters, hot plates, open-coil
appliances, fuel-run appliances, halogen lamps, diffusers and other potentially dangerous
appliances are not allowed in the residence halls; open flames are also prohibited,
thus candles, incense and related material are not permitted.
- Weapons, including guns, firearms, ammunition, knives, swords, slingshots, martial
arts paraphernalia, explosives and projectile firing devices of any kind are not allowed
or permitted. Articles used for class (such as fencing foils, bows for archery, etc.)
must be registered with security and students will be referred to the athletic center
for storage of such items; small utility or pocket knives are allowed.
- Pets, aside from fish, are not allowed. Freshwater fish may be kept by occupants of
double rooms, with agreement of both roommates. Tanks should be made of Plexiglas
and be no larger than 10 gallons.
The Simon's Rock Campus Store is accepting online orders for textbooks as well as merchandise/gift items.
To have online merchandise orders (not including textbooks) delivered to your dorm
room prior to your arrival on campus, please place your order by Wednesday, August
12 at 3 pm ET. If you place an online order after that time, you will be able to pick-up
your merchandise at the Store after the initial quarantine period on campus.
Beginning Monday, August 31 (the first day of classes), the Store will be open Monday
– Friday from 10:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
Additional FAQs for Arrival