- Early College
- Contact Us
- Job Opportunities
- Kilpatrick Athletic Center - Aquatics Director
The goal of this full-time, exempt position is to support the Kilpatrick Athletic
Center (KAC) Mission and Vision through the effective management of the lifeguard
staff, the aquatic fitness program, community swim teams and pool rentals.
It is expected that all employees will treat every member of the community with respect
and contribute to the College’s commitment to fostering an inclusive and welcoming
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
Primary responsibilities are directly related to the management or general business
operations of the college, which includes the exercise of discretion and independent
judgement with respect to matter of significance.
The Aquatics Director will report and be accountable to the Director of Athletics.
The lifeguards, aqua fitness instructors and assistant Snapper swim coaches will report
and be accountable to the Aquatics Director.
- Hire, train, schedule, and direct lifeguards, assistant Snapper swim coaches, and
aquatic fitness instructors.
- Conduct 3 to 4 lifeguard, in-services per season
- Create and maintain a lifeguard procedures and policies manual
- Cover lifeguard shifts when necessary
- Responsible for managing all facets of aquatic based rental programs to include caps,
special events, and other facility rentals.
- Assist the Llama Swim Team Head Coach in the management of home swim meet logistics.
- Maintain the aquatic bulletin board with current information.
- Serve as Manager on Duty as scheduled.
- Perform related duties as assigned by supervisor
- Maintain compliance with all BCSR policies and procedures
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
As Head Coach of the Snappers Swim Team:
- Responsible for designing a yearly team development plan
- Collaborate with the Director of Athletics in creating a pool programing schedule
that meets the needs of all programs and facility patrons
- Write and implement practice
- Manage home meet logistics
- Attend all away meets
- Manage the team database
- Communicate with swim team parents
- Work with parents in developing/maintaining a parents booster club
Assist the Athletic Director in developing and implementing an advertising and marketing
plan for the community swim team.
Financial Management Function
Assist the Director of Athletics in developing an annual operating budget for the
lifeguard staff and the community swim team, which includes the projection of revenues,
expenses and labor costs.
Manage the aforementioned budgets as established by the Director of Athletics.
Approve lifeguard, community swim team coach, and aqua-fitness instructor time cards
and submit for payroll on a bi-weekly basis.
Works in conjunction with the Office Manager to ensure proper billing and collection
of team fees.
Experience, Skills, and Knowledge:
- Bachelor’s degree; at least 3 years of experience directly related to the duties and
- Certification/Licensure American Red Cross Lifeguard Instructor Certification; American
Red Cross Professional Rescuer CPR/AED Instructor Certification; National Swimming
Pool Foundation Certifies Pool Operator Certification.; American Red Cross lifeguarding
or comparable certification
- Knowledge of supplies, equipment, and/or services ordering and inventory control
- Ability to gather data, compile information, and prepare reports
- Ability to make administrative/procedural decisions and judgments
- Knowledge of contract documents and specifications
- Ability to supervise and train employees, to include organizing, prioritizing, and
scheduling work assignments
- Experience as a competitive swimmer preferred
- Pool management
- Ability to communicate effectively and deal tactfully and courteously with a diverse
Physical and Cognitive Requirements/Resilience:
- Lifting 5-50+ lbs.
- Walk on wet, uneven, slippery surfaces
- Work environment involves some exposure to hazards or physical risks, which require
following basic safety precautions
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
- Strong Interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively
with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community
- Records maintenance skills
- Knowledge of customer service standards and procedures
- Knowledge of optimal swimming pool water chemistry, temperature, and cleanliness standards
- Work with others
- Work alone
- Public contact
- Stressful situations
- Problem solving
- Handling stress
- Managing trauma, grief
Full time position, early morning, late evening, weekend and holiday availability
requirements. Some circumstances would require the employee to be called in, such
as a no-show lifeguard or unplanned/planned event requiring multiple lifeguards at
the same time.
Position description and duties may change at any given time.
Successful completion of a background check is a mandatory part of the hiring process.
Bard College at Simon’s Rock is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified individuals
are encouraged to apply. Please send letter of interest and résumé to Bill Meier,
c/o The Kilpatrick Athletic Center, 84 Alford Rd., Great Barrington, MA 01230