- Early College
- Contact Us
- Job Opportunities
- IT Network Administrator
Bard College at Simon’s Rock and Bard Academy are seeking candidates who will be able
to eventually assume a wide range of network administration and other duties. Our
most important qualifications for this position are motivation, desire, and ability
to learn a wide array of tasks, including technical configuration, maintenance, and
customization of many complex hardware devices and systems.
This position reports to the Director of Instructional Technology and has significant
interaction and involvement with members of the college community and outside vendors,
and collaborates with colleagues from other institutions.
Bard College at Simon’s Rock is a residential undergraduate college of the liberal
arts and sciences that strives to cultivate and maintain a welcoming environment of
equity and inclusion. Simon’s Rock is the nation’s only four-year college specifically
designed for younger scholars. Located in Great Barrington, the college is a unit
of Bard College located in Annandale-on-Hudson in New York. In 2014, Simon’s Rock
opened Bard Academy at Simon’s Rock, a two year high school program for 9th- and 10th-graders
on the path to starting college early.
In addition to providing equal employment opportunities for all qualified persons,
the College has a special commitment to seeking qualified women and people of color
for its faculty and professional staff.
As is stated right at the top of this posting, the ideal candidate for this position
need not have extensive experience relating to all the below skills before coming
on board. Much more important than any specific knowledge is an eagerness and ability
to learn. The willingness to embrace technical challenges with a positive attitude
in a small team environment is key, as is the willingness to “stretch” and embrace
acquiring new skills such as learning new programming languages, hardware platforms
and developing coding/configuration skills.
Research shows that Women and People of Color do not apply when they feel they do
not meet all of the qualifications of a position. If you feel as if you do not meet
the qualifications listed, please contact us at NetworkAdminSearch@simons-rock.edu.
Responsibilities may eventually include most of the following:
- Monitor and maintain stable, functional and secure data and telephone networks.
- Monitor and manage network traffic, analyzing and troubleshooting problems as they
- Investigate, recommend and implement new hardware and software solutions.
- Work together with other members of the ITS department to plan and schedule upgrades
to important systems and infrastructure while minimizing downtime.
- Monitor and oversee the configuration, maintenance, and updating of network switches,
routers, firewall, and other network hardware/software; install or oversee the installation
of ethernet and fiber optic cabling.
- Configure packetshaper for the management of bandwidth and network resources; monitor
and analyze the results of network data to optimize use and performance.
- Develop, implement, and maintain network monitoring as necessary for security and
- Monitor network performance to determine whether adjustments need to be made; determine
where network repairs, upgrades, and enhancements are warranted; implement changes
- Troubleshoot outages or interruptions in network service; analyze and resolve wiring,
hardware, and software issues.
- Plan the introduction of updated and new services on campus; facilitate network communications
within and outside campus.
- Configure campus phone systems to provide robust service to faculty, staff and students
- Troubleshoot and resolve telephone hardware and wiring issues, working with other
IT staff and with vendor technicians.
- Investigate new network hardware and software technology; recommend the acquisition
of new technology; plan for the introduction of and the implementation of new hardware
- Coordinate closely with the System Administrator, Director of Instructional Technology,
Director of User Services and other staff to ensure smooth functioning of systems
- Obtain configurations and quotes from from vendors; work closely with senior staff
inside and outside the ITS department to develop justification, pricing and funding
- Communicate with College community (faculty, staff, students and parents of students)
regarding issues and topics related to the campus network and services.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Affinity for learning how to manipulate and maintain complex systems and hardware
- Willingness to push the bounds of one’s comfort level with regard to exploring systems,
hardware, code and technical environments that may initially appear opaque and/or
- Ability to physically lift and carry 25 pounds.
- Ability to exercise discretion and independent judgment.
- Ability and willingness to be on periodic emergency on-call rotation as well as occasional
night, weekend and very early morning work.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related technical area or equivalent experience.
- Previous technical experience including system and network administration.
- In depth knowledge of network and telephone hardware and software.
- Familiarity with Cisco Catalyst and HP Procurve switches and routers, Cisco ASA, Cisco
Meraki Wireless, Allot NetEnforcer packetshaper, and/or Samsung OfficeServ PBX.
- Interest in and/or experience with cloud-based platforms, such as Amazon Web Services
Bard College at Simon’s Rock is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage applications
from candidates of all races, nationalities, sexual orientations, gender identities,
and socioeconomic levels.
This is a full-time, 12 month-a-year, on-going position with excellent employee benefits.
Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a background check. Please
send a letter of interest, resume and contact information for four references to Charlie
Derr, Director of Instructional Technology at NetworkAdminSearch@simons-rock.edu.
No phone calls please.