- Early College
- Contact Us
- Job Opportunities
- IT Network Administrator
Bard College at Simon’s Rock and Bard Academy, located in Great Barrington, Massachusetts,
seek an experienced IT Network Administrator.
This position reports to the Director of Instructional Technology and has significant
interaction and involvement with members of the college community and outside vendors,
and collaborates with colleagues from other institutions.
Bard College at Simon’s Rock is a residential undergraduate college of the liberal
arts and sciences that strives to cultivate and maintain a welcoming environment of
equity and inclusion. Simon’s Rock is the nation’s only four-year college specifically
designed for younger scholars. Located in Great Barrington, the college is a unit
of Bard College located in Annandale-on-Hudson in New York. In 2014, Simon’s Rock
opened Bard Academy at Simon's Rock, a two-year high school program for 9th- and 10th-graders
on the path to starting college early.
In addition to providing equal employment opportunities for all qualified persons,
the College has a special commitment to engaging in affirmative action to seek qualified
women and minorities for its faculty and professional staff. The College’s Director
of Administration and Finance serves as Director of Affirmative Action, and is responsible
for insuring consistent efforts toward achieving the goals of equal opportunity and
affirmative action as well as maintaining records in compliance with the College’s
affirmative action policy.
The ideal candidate for this position need not have extensive experience relating
to all the below skills before coming on board. Much more important than any specific
knowledge is an eagerness and ability to learn. The willingness to embrace technical
challenges with a positive attitude in a small team environment is key.
- Monitor and maintain stable, functional and secure data and telephone networks;
- Monitor and manage network traffic, analyzing and troubleshooting problems as they
- Investigate, recommend and implement new hardware and software solutions;
- Work together with other members of the ITS department to plan and schedule upgrades
to important systems and infrastructure while minimizing downtime;
- Monitor and oversee the configuration, maintenance, and updating of network switches,
routers, firewall, and other network hardware/software; install or oversee the installation
of ethernet and fiber optic cabling;
- Configure packetshaper for the management of bandwidth and network resources; monitor
and analyze the results of network data to optimize use and performance;
- Develop, implement, and maintain network monitoring as necessary for security and
- Monitor network performance to determine whether adjustments need to be made; determine
where network repairs, upgrades, and enhancements are warranted; implement changes
- Troubleshoot outages or interruptions in network service; analyze and resolve wiring,
hardware, and software issues;
- Plan the introduction of updated and new services on campus; facilitate network communications
within and outside campus;
- Configure campus phone systems to provide robust service to faculty, staff and students
- Troubleshoot and resolve telephone hardware and wiring issues, working with IT user
services staff and with vendor technicians;
- Investigate new network hardware and software technology; recommend the acquisition
of new technology; plan for the introduction of and the implementation of new hardware
- Coordinate closely with the System Administrator, Director of Instructional Technology,
Director of Information Technology and other staff to ensure smooth functioning of
systems and network;
- Obtain configurations and quotes from vendors; work closely with the ITS directors
to develop justification, pricing and funding alternatives;
- Communicate with College community (faculty, staff, students) regarding issues and
topics related to the campus network and services;
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related technical area or equivalent experience.
- Previous technical experience including system and network administration.
- In depth knowledge of network and telephone hardware and software.
- Ability to physically lift and carry 40 pounds.
- Ability to exercise discretion and independent judgment.
- Ability and willingness to be on periodic emergency on-call rotation as well as occasional
night and weekend work.
- Willingness to work in tight spaces and on ladders to install/test equipment and make
- Familiarity with Cisco Catalyst and HP Procurve switches and routers, Cisco ASA, Cisco
Meraki Wireless, Allot NetEnforcer packetshaper, and Samsung OfficeServ PBX is a plus.
Bard College at Simon's Rock is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage applications
from candidates of all races, nationalities, sexual orientations, gender identities,
and socioeconomic levels.
This is a full-time, 12 month-a-year, on-going position with excellent employee benefits.
Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a background check. Please
send a letter of interest, résumé and contact information for three references to
Charlie Derr, Director of Instructional Technology at NetworkAdminSearch@simons-rock.edu.
No Phone Calls Please.