- Ways to Give
- Gifts in-Kind and Stock Donations
Often a gift of appreciated securities is a very tax-effective way to support Simon’s
Gifts of Appreciated Securities to Bard College at Simon’s Rock
When you donate appreciated stocks to Simon’s Rock, you avoid the capital gains tax
you would have paid if you sold the asset. If you have owned the securities for longer
than 12 months, you also receive an income tax charitable deduction for their full
fair-market value. These tax savings—both in income and capital gains taxes—make gifts
of securities a popular alternative to cash.
If you wish to maintain this particular stock in your portfolio, consider giving Simon’s
Rock the stock and using the cash you would have donated to purchase the same securities
in the open market. The newly acquired shares will then carry the current market value
as their cost basis, an easy way to reduce future capital gains tax liability.
For all U.S. Stocks and Securities
To make a gift of stock to Bard College at Simon’s Rock please provide these instructions
to your broker or bank officer.
- Before initiating the transfer, please have your broker contact the Office of Institutional
- By email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- By phone: 413-528-7253
- By U.S. Post:
Office of Institutional Advancement
Bard College at Simon’s Rock
84 Alford Road
Great Barrington, MA 01230
- To electronically transfer securities to Bard College at Simon’s Rock, direct funds to: Charles Schwab & Co., Inc.
- DTC number: 0164
Beneficiary: Bard College at Simon’s Rock
Account number: 8742-2719
Memo: Provide purpose of the gift, the name of securities and the number of shares.
NOTE: If you hold the stock certificates:
- Please do not send them to Charles Schwab. Please deliver them unendorsed to Bard College at Simon’s Rock, attention Office of Institutional Advancement, at
the address above, with documentation describing the asset(s) and the purpose of the
- In a separate envelope, deliver the signed stock/bond power for each asset (exactly as the name
appears on the certificate), to the address as above.
- Please do not complete any other section of the stock/bond power.
Bard College at Simon’s Rock is a 501(c)3 not for profit organization.
Federal ID number is: 14-1713034