- Early College
- Contact Us
- Job Opportunities
- Admission Counselor
The Office of Admission at Bard Academy and Bard College at Simon’s Rock seeks a motivated,
conscientious, and dedicated professional to work with our passionate prospective
students and families. In partnership with admission team members, the admission counselor
plays an integral role in meeting enrollment goals for both Bard Academy and Bard
College at Simon’s Rock.
Bard College at Simon’s Rock is the only four-year college in the United States specifically
designed to allow highly motivated adolescents to fully realize their intellectual
and creative potential by beginning college immediately after the 10th or 11th grade.
For over 50 years, Simon’s Rock has occupied a unique space in the educational landscape,
practicing the simple yet radical idea that many students are ready for college before
the age of 18. We strive to do so in an inclusive environment where diverse perspectives
are valued. Six years ago, Simon’s Rock opened Bard Academy at Simon's Rock, a two-year
high school for 9th- and 10th-graders on the path to starting college early. The campus
is located on 275 acres in Great Barrington, Massachusetts, a hub of the Berkshires
and, according to Smithsonian Magazine, “the best small town in America.” Equidistant
between New York and Boston, the Berkshires are a site of great natural beauty and
numerous outdoor activities, as well as a cultural destination. AA/EOE.
On-Campus and Online Recruitment
- Interviews prospective applicants one-on-one in order to assess the student’s fit
and match for Bard Academy or Bard College at Simon’s Rock and answer specific questions.
- Conducts group information sessions in order to provide an overview of the Academy
and College and answer specific questions
- Conducts question-and-answer sessions with prospective students, family members, and
- Participates in open houses and spring yield events, managing logistical and programmatic
tasks as directed.
- Attends online and in-person college and middle school fairs, group travel programs,
hosts special topic workshops.
- Reads and evaluates admission applications submitted by prospective students from
a regional territory in order to assess the students’ match with Simon’s Rock.
- Participates in the admissions committee discussion of applicants.
Travel & Outreach
- Takes primary responsibility in counseling prospective students, parents, counselors,
and educational consultants from a regional territory of the U.S. or internationally
in order to provide information about Bard Academy and/or Bard College at Simon’s
Rock (e.g., how to apply, academic programs, etc.). Responds to questions submitted
by phone, e-mail and in-person or virtual visit. Develops a strategy using quantitative
and qualitative data to determine travel locations and schedules that align with the
goals of the admission office and meet institutional priorities.
- Travels four to six weeks during the fall (physically and/or virtually) with potential
additional travel at other times of year, to meet prospective students, counselors
and educational consultants. Is fully responsible for gathering relevant recruitment materials
and scheduling meetings.
- Leverages Slate CRM to develop email campaigns to communicate with prospective students and educators in an assigned territory, or who meet designated criteria.
Drafting, designing, revising, editing, and deploying emails to target audiences is
- Visits middle and secondary schools, community-based organizations, and educational
consultants in order to promote college access and recruit students.
- Updates and maintains electronic records of school visits, school fairs, and other
travel- related programs, including evaluation and assessment of such visits.
- Manages programs and projects within the office as assigned. Specific projects may
be related to international admissions, technology support, recruitment, selection,
social media/web presence, student workers, data analysis, or other office needs.
- Responsibilities will include contributing to and shepherding various programs and
Professional Development & Committee Representation
- Represents the College at meetings and conferences, including regional and national
conferences in order to play an active role in the larger admissions profession.
- Serves as a member of College committees where appropriate for an Admissions Office
The successful candidate must be energetic, creative, organized, flexible, and open-minded,
must demonstrate independent initiative and also work very well as part of a team,
and must possess outstanding strategic thinking, problem solving, communication, interpersonal
and public speaking skills. Candidates must be available to work flexible hours, including
evenings and weekends, and be willing to travel. A bachelor's degree and driver’s
license are required. Admission experience in a liberal arts college or independent
secondary school environment is preferred.
Bard Academy and Bard College at Simon’s Rock is an equal opportunity employer. All
qualified individuals are encouraged to apply. Please send a résumé and cover letter
by email to Amanda Dubrowski, Associate Director of Admission (email@example.com), with “Admission Counselor” in the subject line. No phone calls, please. Position
open until filled.