- Early College
- Contact Us
- Offices And Departments
- Wellness Center
- Student Health Insurance Plan and Health Services Fee
The Student Health Insurance Plan and the Health Services Fee are required for all
enrolled students at Bard College at Simon’s Rock and Bard Academy:
Student Health Insurance
Student Health Insurance Plan
- Some family plans are not accepted locally, and if a student needs to be referred
out to a specialist, such as for a broken bone or chronic condition, many providers
will not accept out of state insurance or an unfamiliar plan. Our local providers
know and take the student school insurance plan.
- We do not have the administrative capacity to manage the various nuances in coverage
and benefits of other insurance plans. As such, one standard insurance plan enables
the Wellness Center to equitably and efficiently treat all of our young students without
delays or impediments to service.
- The school insurance plan is primary and will cover students, across the country,
for the full year, including the summer, breaks and intercession.
- Labs are fully covered through the school insurance plan, enabling students to have
easy and confidential access to needed laboratory testing through the Wellness Center
without barriers to service.
- Prescriptions are filled seamlessly and delivered to the Wellness Center from Lenox
Integrative Pharmacy, Lenox, MA. Co-pays are applied and billed to the family.
- Our on-site physicians have contracted with us to bill directly through the school
insurance plan, creating easier access to physician appointments following a nurse
- Our consulting psychiatrist only bills through the school insurance plan. With the
school insurance plan, students have access to psychiatric medication evaluation and
ongoing oversight for psychotropic medications, as referred by a Wellness Center counselor.
Co-pays and missed session fees are applied and billed to the family.
Health Services Fee
- We are located in a relatively rural area, so access to health care is somewhat limited.
Our comprehensive Wellness Center has a diligent, professionally licensed staff, who
care for and monitor students, have working relationships with local care providers
and ensure that students receive the proper treatment and follow-up care, including
clear and timely communication with parents (in compliance with HIPAA regulations).
- Our students are younger than most who arrive on college campuses and often require
increased attention and support. In addition, our students have generally not yet
managed their own healthcare and can be intimidated or overwhelmed when facing a serious
personal problem or emergency alone. To address these needs, staff provides comprehensive
oversight with individualized, integrated care.
- Students pay one flat fee to access nursing and counseling services at the Wellness
- Assistance is provided to schedule with local/regional specialists, as needed and
- Nursing triage and counseling staff are available after open hours for urgent/crisis
situations, working in collaboration with Campus Life and Campus Safety.
- If a student wants or needs counseling, they can access counseling services conveniently
at the campus Wellness Center.
- If your student is facing a critical health or mental health situation, and/or needs
to be seen in the ER, health and counseling staff will be in touch with you, keeping
you informed about what has happened and consulting on any pending decisions.
- Families will be responsible for the payment of services outside of the Wellness Center,
if not covered by the Student Health Insurance Plan.
- The Student Health Insurance Plan is primary and provides full-year coverage, across
the United States, including summer, breaks, and January intercession.