- Student Life
- Living on Campus
- Campus Safety
- Emergency Procedures
- Fire Procedures
Follow these safety instructions for fire alarms, smoke, and fire.
Contact Campus Safety
For any on-campus emergency, contact Campus Safety.
- From an on-campus phone: dial ‘0’ or x7291
- From a cell phone: 413-528-7291
Fire and the associated dangers of smoke, structural damage, or toxic releases can
pose serious threats of injury and death to students, employees, visitors, and emergency
In order to control a fire and minimize its damage, the following steps should be
- Leave the area at once.
- Pull the fire alarm.
- Alert other people in the area and instruct them to leave the building.
- Close, do not lock, all doors and windows if you can safely do so to help contain
- Stay as low as possible to avoid smoke and heat.
- Evacuate the building calmly but quickly.
- Do not use elevators.
- Go directly to the designated assembly area (see below) and await additional instructions.
Report anyone who is missing and who was in your classroom or area when the evacuation
began to emergency responders.
- All residential building fire alarms will immediately dispatch the Great Barrington
Fire Department. Regardless, as soon as possible, call the Campus Safety Department.
- Remain at the assembly area until you are instructed how to proceed by Campus Safety
staff or the Great Barrington Fire Department.
Actions If Trapped by Fire
- Alert emergency responders of your location by whistling, shouting, or using an object
to beat on walls or floor in a rhythmic manner.
- If a telephone is available, call the Campus Safety Department and notify them of
your location; you may also place an article of clothing or other device to use as
a signal in a window, if a window is available.
- Stuff material in door cracks to minimize smoke and try to stay low, near the floor,
where heat, smoke, and contaminants may be less.
- Do not try to fight a fire; leave any building and report to a safe meeting area away
from the building.
Residence Building Evacuation Meeting Areas
- Annex House - grass near Fox Run
- Carriage House - Parking area in front of pole barn
- Checker Chance - front yard, 100 yards from building
- Crosby House - porch behind Dining Hall
- Dolliver House - porch behind Dining Hall
- Hill House – Upper Hill House parking lot
- Kendrick House - porch behind Dining Hall
- Lake Mansfield Houses - front of closest house not in alarm
- Mods – far side of Mod parking lot
- Orchard Houses - lawn behind Orchard I
- Owl's Nest - Hill House upper parking lot
- Pibly – Far side of Fox Run
- Red Brick House/Apt. - Leibowitz parking lot
- White House - grass near Fox Run
Administrative Building Evacuation Meeting Areas
- Alumni Library – far side of parking lot
- Blodgett House – Kellogg Green
- College Center – far side of parking lot
- Classrooms – far side of parking lot
- Daniel Arts Center – auxiliary lot across Gate House Rd.
- Dining Hall – Kellogg Green
- Fisher Center – parking lot
- ITS – far side of parking lot
- Kellogg Music Center – Kellogg Green
- Kilpatrick Athletic Center – Parking lot
- Lecture Center – Parking lot
- Liebowitz – Red Brick House parking lot
- Livingston Student Union – Upper Hill House parking lot
- Physical Plant Complex - auxiliary Daniel Arts Center lot